And if 2018 was the beginning of the Golden Age of communication?
It is in any case the message of Cision, world leader of the Software for the RP and the Influence, who organized a webinar: the new tendencies of the communication.
Why this renewed interest for the communication professions? Because despite rather difficult years in the shadow of marketing, projects or budgets, communicators will be able to bring all their know-how, to implement a mixed content strategy to a strategy of influence: a strategy of Earned Media. Indeed, marketing practices, especially advertising, are no longer enough to generate interest for a brand: we have passed the era of recommendation, commitment, trust.
The 4 points to remember from the webinar
1 – Restore the media paradox
The media landscape is divided into three categories: Paid, Owned and Earned Media. If consumers are generally tired of advertising and give more confidence to Earned Media, it is clear that companies still invest mostly in Paid and Owned Media. The lack of measurement and the difficulty in obtaining a short-term and direct return on investment from Earned Media may explain this arbitrage.
2 – The ingredients of a strategy of Earned Media
– The message : An established content strategy is essential to gain visibility in the media. It’s hard to talk about yourself if you have nothing to say … Businesses have to think about their Why! Too many brands focus on their Who, who they are, rather than on their purpose and what is most important to the consumer.
– Media Relations : Journalists and bloggers continue to lead the quest for influence: they have a variety of media and proven credibility with the public.
– Trust : the key is to build trusted marketing with your target: Trust Content. This can be customer feedback, testimonials, ambassadors of the brand … The recommendations are essential.
– Commitment : the commitment around a brand is mostly done through social networks, which is why it is important for companies to animate their communities, to understand who its influencers are so they can relay their messages more effectively.
– Speaking : any opportunity to speak through external events or conferences is one way to increase your visibility and show your expertise. A brand must have one or more spokespersons and the communicators must educate the members of the Board so that they themselves become influencers. Being invited to talk about your brand is a great added value in Earned Media’s strategies.
3 – See the Press Relations differently
Today’s PR – or media relations – can solve some of the most up-to-date marketing issues that communications professionals need to consider and take control of, including: The visibility – Trust – The influence – The commitment
4 – Practicing PR differently
The evolution of journalism : the arrival of the web and social networks has revolutionized the profession of journalist, with the consequent loss of monopoly of information, but also a change in its mode of consumption. Today, 94% of journalists say they use social networks as part of their work: a figure that reflects the significant change in PR practice in 2018. RP 2.0 are therefore very relevant to initiate relations with journalists.
But above all, professionalization of bloggers !
50% of bloggers are dissatisfied with the way they are contacted by brands, and they blame them for their lack of appreciation and recognition in general. It is important that brands make the effort to understand the blogger, to learn about its editorial line and the content it publishes in order to optimize the message that it can broadcast later. Understanding the motivations of the blogger, developing strong partnerships with some and finding a way to build a win / win relationship is the beginning of a good strategy.